Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 08:32 AM   #49
Livens
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52547
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Livens Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
my ATX is now fixed

Here is my experience with the 4F27E ATX.

It started slipping out of 4th and progressed to not going into 4th at all, and slipping out of 3rd gear. A week later I lost reverse completely. So I was thinking 'rebuild' and big $$$. But after reading this article I was convinced that it was the SSA. So I went to Ford and got one for $47 and swapped it out. Nothing. No change.

So I asked a freind of mine if her Husband, who is a master mech., could fix it. No problem she said. He took the ATX out and tore it down. He found the problem, or a problem. There is a small snap ring about 3 inches in diameter that hold the 'inards' of the reverse/4th gear drum together. It had popped out of place causing things to be loose and no pressure was able to build up. It looksl ike Ford had realized there was a problem with this because they redesigned another ring that helps keep that one from coming out. The original had tabs along the inside that held the ring in, new one was solid all the way around.

Anyway he got it all back together replacing a few seals and a new piston for the reverse drum, it had a depression in a rubber ring or something were the retaining ring had popped out. Yeah, fixed! Almost...

The next day it starts slipping in 3rd and wont go into 4th. Check engine light is on. Slip into Autozone and its code P0755, the SSB. Fortunatly the SSA and SSB solenoid are identicle, so I swap out my original SSA for my SSB. Success! It looks like my ATX had 2 problems, the retaining ring and a bad SSB.

Thanks for the great writeup on these solenoids! Really gave me the confidence to do them myself!

PS. I dont believe in coincidences. Having a solenoid go bad and a retaining ring pop out at almost the same time... they have to be related. Im wondering if the jerking from the ATX slipping put too much pressure somehow on that reverse drum?

Last edited by Livens; 04-13-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: additional thoughts