Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - GLU goes to autocross!
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

Points 3,584, Level 37
Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37 Points: 3,584, Level: 37
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Things to remember on a 90 degree turn:
Know what’s after the turn (straight, slalom, another 90)
Slow in fast out
Late Apex

Standard approach: 100% braking in a straight line, turn in for a late apex, roll onto the throttle just after the apex to power out of the turn

Intermediate approach: Start braking in a straight line, turn in while releasing brake pressure (trail braking) to help the car rotate, roll onto throttle same as above.

Advanced approach: I haven’t mastered left foot braking, but it will help you brake later into the corner, rotate the car, and keep weight on the front wheels to reduce understeer and apply power out of the corner. At least that’s my understanding. What you get is induced throttle off oversteer, with accelerated forward weight transfer. This forces the front tires to bite hard giving you lots of grip up front and allowing the rear to rotate. To stop the rotation you mash the throttle and it will straighten right out.

So work on the standard approach (I’m still at this stage most of the time) until you can nail the proper apex every time. Also work on hitting the right entry speed so you don’t understeer and loose time at corner exit. Once you get your line and entry speed right, then work in some trailbraking on really tight corners were you need some extra help rotating the car.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"