Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - GLU goes to autocross!
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #14
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Fan#: 56705
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

Points 28,023, Level 98
Points: 28,023, Level: 98 Points: 28,023, Level: 98 Points: 28,023, Level: 98
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-ST View Post
Unless you're afraid of putting some reasonable wear on the expensive tires on the car, you shouldn't worry about that yet. Odds are that size wouldn't be any faster that what you have now, unless you paid enough to get sticky tires.
A better investment would be seat time. Get the schedules for the year of the 3 or 4 closest other clubs, put it all on a calendar, and see which ones you might be able to make. If you must buy tires, get something affordable in a stock size and try to destroy them with as many events as possible. You'll probably run a year or two before tires are relevant.

An experienced driver will gain a second or so from sticky tires. A good launch is worth a few tenths of a second. Experience is worth several whole seconds. A rookie can learn bad habits with great tires, while things you learn on bad tires will still apply later to sticky tires.
i'm going to attend every event the utah region has this season, as for the others "around" here they're way too far for me to make. (different state) i absolutely know seat time is the best thing money can buy for a novice but the lightweight wheels and good/decent tires were on my list even before i started to race. so i'm getting them sooner then later and i just want opinions on them.

currently i have svt wheels 17x7, w/ budget no name tires.. they have no traction what so ever, it feels like my car can handle a ton better then the tires are allowing me to.. i understand slower is faster but i don't want to turtle it out there.

star specs are on my list right now for a good "street" tire. i won't be putting them on my svt wheels since my car is a daily driver, and i want good all seasons on those. (i have winter wheels and tires too!)

thanks for the advice guys. keep it comming, i'm all ears.

WD40, thanks for the info, at both events i've gone to they don't hassle me about the camera mount which BTW works AMAZING! thanks for the idea!!
one suggestion for you or those that use it, mount it all the way across both seats if you can, or just mount it on the drivers side, it reduces the vibration big time. (assuming you guys have aftermarket motor mounts)