Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - tune ,who to go with
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #53
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Other: My very own super duper kick ass in your face tune!!!!

Pros:
-Drivability is exactly how I like it, I have the dashpot and dashpot preposition where I want it (so the revs drop how fast I want, no hanging revs), it goes open loop where I want it to, a lot of little details that many "professional" tooners leave out are taken care of
-MTX swap issues are taken care of properly and in a timely manner (took 2 other tuners WEEKS to get me a file)
-If anything annoys me I can change it right then and there
-I get to learn a lot, some people are just into learning
-Can change my setup any time I want at a moment's notice. Like when I decided to put on my 3" maf. Put it on the next day, had it tuned within 2 hours of installing it. Or when I took off EGR on a whim, 5 minutes later it was turned off.
-It is exciting/rewarding to see and feel the results of the changes you make both in drivability and on the butt dyno
-When I go boosted I don't have to pay Tom again ( its free updates unless you go FI) I just change a few normalizers and go on my merry way
-Additional NFC1 cars are free to tune!

Cons:
At times it takes a few days (or erm... months if it's real bad...) to get a problem figured out. But with enough logging and experimentation, I have yet to run into a problem I wasnt able to solve. My car has never been down due to my tune.

I have also done a tune with Logan Motorsports (Massive Speed System outsource) back when I was less educated. On the dyno my car was "just a Focus" and they did a few pulls and sent me on my way. No drivability tuning, no middle-range MAF or spark tuning, car ran closed loop well after .8 load, knock sensor turned off without telling me, sometimes ran 13.3-13.5 afr. They also couldnt get my torque converter to lock so I didnt get any dyno numbers. 1 out of 5 stars.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!