Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - skid plate thickness
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I used 3/16" of 6061 aluminum for my front plate. 3/16 is heavy enough that you can jack the car up on it without crushing or bending it. I used 1/8" of LDPE to wrap the tank, mud flaps, and protect other strategic locations (inside of rear wheel wells...it was a rear wheel drive car) and over the fuel and brake lines. The 1/8" is easily bent and shaped with a heat gun and holds up to rock spray really well (that's its primary purpose after all, it's not necessarily a skid pan/plate in those locations). Closely spaced zip ties (I'm talking heavy duty wide ones) work surprisingly well to hold on plastic sheets... especially for the gas tank wrap. Just make sure to carry plenty of extras with you should you have to remove it for service. On a metal skid plate, also make sure to oversize the holes for bolts (about an 1/8" bigger than the bolt diameter used). This allows the plate to be easily removed if it gets dented especially on short rally services. You don't want to use valuable time trying to pry off the skid plate. Believe me, been there done that.