Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Track Day Setup Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #13
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37876
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, silver

FF Reputation: 43 apex214 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder02 View Post
As for tires the Direzza Starspec is a very good choice if you getting a dedicated set of tires. I got about 12 track days out of mine and maybe around 5000 road miles, but that’s not bad for a sticky street tier. As far as track performance the Dunlop does very well they are very consistent once they get hot, though I feel the cold to warm grip is a little better. But they are consistent and don’t get overly greasy towards the end of the run.
Though I only ran two track days on them late last year, the Dunlops mentioned here worked nicely for me as well. I have used true "R-compound" race tires in the past on other cars, and yes, in general, they can be quite gripless when cold, and can get greasy if pushed too hard too. The Direzzas are street tires with enough extra grip to make them useful as occasional track/autocross rubber. And...they're reasonably priced. My vote is for them, especially if you're new to the track.

Suspension?? I have been running the FRPP Dynamic complete system (Spec Focus stuff), plus a 25mm Eibach rear antisway bar. It's a bit harsh on New England roads, but if you keep away from potholes you'll be OK. I added the SPC adjustable rear control arms and K-MAC front camber/caster plates to get the alignment to a "typical" Spec Focus setting. I decided not to go with the FRPP adjustable rear subframe just because of the extra labor needed to swap it out, and if the SPC arms add weight I don't care because this car is for daily driving and track events, not races. The alignment specs I used:

Front: Camber: -2.6, Caster: +3.0, Toe: 1/16 Out
Rear: Camber: -1.0, Toe: 0
The balance is very neutral...which means drive smooth and smart cuz you can loop it easier now! lol OK it isn't THAT twitchy, just a whole lot better than original...understeer much less of a problem now.

Enjoy!