Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - AWD Zetec/SVT Focus INFO thread
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #174
hurtinfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 835
What I Drive: 03 SVT (RS conversion)

FF Reputation: 4 hurtinfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecterXP View Post
I didn't read all 15 pages and I'm not sure if it's mentioned (probably is) but what's wrong with using the Ford Escape 2.3D 5Spd AWD setup? I think the rear subframe is the exact same as the focus sub frame. It's not true full time AWD but it will do what you want it to do as far as traction on the whole shot and slick surfaces, right?
the escape originally came in a 2.0zetec with 5spd and "awd", and later with the 2.3

the problem we discovered with the escape system is that it was FWD all the time, however when slippage is "sensed" it transfers 15% of power to the rear. the problem is that this is such a marginal transfer of power, it would be a waste of time/resources/effort/money to swap it in, not to mention the added electronics involved. the subframe could most likley be used and just shortened in heighth, but the diff would need to be swapped out for the jag unit anyway to mate a jag PTO box to the trans anyway.