Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - What race tracks have you run on?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #25
apex214
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 37876
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, silver

FF Reputation: 43 apex214 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, CT: This is a very fast track with not a single "conventional" corner...except maybe West Bend. All the others are either multi-apex (Big Bend), "throw-aways" (Left Hander), massively uphill (yup, The Uphill lol) or massively, gut-wrenchingly downhill (ummm, The Downhill...see a pattern here? ;) ). The new down-to-the-roadbed repaving job is glass smooth. The old surface with its concrete patches was teeth-rattling in a street car! This track should not be missed...a classic challenge. LRP is my "home" track and always going to be a favorite. Close to a dozen time trials and track days, and definitely more to come.

New Hampshire Motor Speedway: With the inside-the-oval chicanes it's a low speed lap with some definite challenges, but not a "scary" track. "The Bowl" is fun...downhill entry, uphill exit. This is not a horsepower track, especially when the oval turns 1 & 2 are not used. I told people I saw higher speeds on the interstate driving TO the track than I did see while driving ON the track lol. Love that New Hampshire "autobahn"...One SCDA track day, but I will probably skip it from now on.

Monticello Motor Club, full course: A huge, approximately 4 mile lap with elevation changes, corner combinations, all sorts of challenges for a thinking driver. There's little "conventional" about the layout here, as with Lime Rock. Many corners need to be "sacrificed" with an eye on nailing a perfect exit a corner or two ahead. Very little runoff room folks! Be very careful as there are few tire walls, and miles and miles of Armco, much of it quite close to the track. This is already a favorite in the making. One SCDA track day last year...more to come for sure.

Gingerman Raceway, Michigan: A former orchard or farm I believe...NOTHING to hit, period, done lol OK almost nothing if you consider the little bit of guardrail near Start/Finish. Much of the rest is just a wide track with acres of runoff, reasonably fast too. Too bad I likely will never be out that way again with a track car, but it was a fun and safe course. Two days spent in a Porsche Club of America "track day".

Streets of Willow, CA: This is sort of an oversized autocross course, with significant elevation changes thrown in. Not a major power track, as most straights are short...but tough to get right as the corners come up quick. Turn 1 is a bit of a nailbiter off camber uphill with the pavement dropping away just as you get into the braking zone for 2. Luckily the desert soil stops you damn quick should you go off course. The "big track" next door, Willow Springs, is on my agenda next time I visit the west coast. Two days spent in a driving school there.