Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
MattyM3CSL
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63091
What I Drive: 14' Silver ST, 02 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 2 MattyM3CSL Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Track Day Setup Advice

Iím planning on doing some track events this upcoming season at summit point and wanted to get some input on a good set up. The car is basically stock with 80k miles and original suspension and brakes. I need to address the shocks and brakes no question. There are several things I would like to do, but the budget says otherwise. Iím pretty much set on the brake setup. I was going to use centric rotors with Hawk HPS or HP+ pads and flush the system with ATE Superblue fluid.

As for the suspension I was trying to decide between getting the replacement SVT shocks or going with the popular FRPP Dynamic kit. I know the stock svt handles well but i just cant get over the fender gap in the rear.

The other main issue I have with the car are the tires. The car came with Nexen N5000s and I am not a big fan of them. For everyday street driving in all weather I think they are decent. But I think they lack ultimate dry grip and I have a feeling these tires will be very frustrating to deal with on track. The tires are about 50% worn and have some life still left in them.

The tires I had in mind were Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1. The only issue I see with these tires are there tread life for street driving. Ideally I would like to get another set of wheels and run these tires during the summer and track and keep the nexens for winter. But again were talking more $$$.

So I guess the question is do I invest the money into upgrading the suspension or replacing the tires.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice