Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Official: Introducing Next Generation Ford Focus for 2012
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #130
bradshsi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58770
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Turbocharged SVT

FF Reputation: 6 bradshsi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Also you can blame any boring or similar to other style on the chinese...which are a very conservative market. This one focus had to appeal to everybody so teams from around the world had input on it.
I really admire Alan Mulally for what he's done at Ford. But I think he's wrong in one important respect. To quote him from a NY Times article on Sunday:

"Gunnar Herrmann, head of the Focus project, recalled how Mr. Mulally kept referring to his years of developing airplanes that were the same no matter where they flew.

“He said, you guys are always doing multiple doors on these cars; at Boeing, we have only one door,” Mr. Herrmann remembers......

When it came to designing the exterior of the vehicle, the team faced a quandary. Whereas European and American buyers appreciate flair, Chinese consumers, in particular, have more conservative tastes. In the past, Mr. Herrmann, said, Ford would have designed separate bumpers and headlights for the different markets. That approach, however, wouldn’t fly with Mr. Mulally."

The thing is last time I checked airlines don't base a large part of their decision to buy a Boeing based on how it looks. Buying a car is done partly with your head and partly with your heart. Long term Mulally risks ignoring the heart part at his peril.

Look at the current Toyota lineup. I find it to be for the most part utterly boring. So while their vehicles perform, you won't find me buying one any time soon. This boringness is a consequence of trying to make one design suit everyone worldwide. As such you reach the lowest common denominator in terms of emotional appeal.