Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Official: Introducing Next Generation Ford Focus for 2012
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #115
bradshsi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58770
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Turbocharged SVT

Points 308, Level 6
Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6 Points: 308, Level: 6
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 bradshsi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepafocus03 View Post
just had to add does anyone else feel let down now? im not bashing it im just saying that ive been waiting for months with no spy shots or anything and now that ive seen it its sort of like the day after christmas lol

Yes.

I'm thrilled that Ford finally got religion and had the Europeans lead the design of the new Focus. I'm also thrilled that they will be selling the same care in the USA instead of kludging stuff.

The let down is the design is just too "busy" for my taste. It lacks the clean lines of say an Opel Astra or an Audi A3. The rear light cluster on the hatchback and the way it sticks around the side is particularly egregious.

I would not mind as much if it were distinctive in the way the original Focus stood apart from anything else when it was launched. But this version is pretty much "Me too" in terms of a design language. A few creases here and a finny type grill there and you have a rebaked Mazda 3 or any other generic car for this segment.

I know to some extent it is wishful thinking but I had hoped that Ford would have strived to set a new design tone or direction. Perhaps something like this:

A beautiful possible design evolution

I'm curious if it is just me, but the interior also looks awfully busy too. Can anyone else comment ?

I've no doubt it will sell well and truth be told if it performs well I'll probably end up getting one in 2 or 3 years time when we need a replacement for our trusty 1st generation workhorse. Its just I wish it would set my heart beating faster the same way the first ZX5 I saw did.