Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Official: Introducing Next Generation Ford Focus for 2012
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #75
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Blah! No coupe version. It doesn't look terrible... but at the same time it doesn't look as good as I thought it would. It just sort of reminds me of a compact Taurus. I guess I was sort of hoping that they'd work off of the Mk I Focus design language. But at this point it's safe to assume that Ford has long since moved on from that aesthetic. The Fiesta is the closest we're ever going to get with the original ZX3.

There's just something about the styling of the 2011 Focus that is a little over the top. Too many random creases in the body, the obnoxious roof rack lines hugging the roof, the goofy triangular lower front grille holes, and the taillights that wrap around into the sides, etc. It just feels like the whole thing looks too busy. I guess I was sort of hoping it would look more like the Focus RS. It's an example of how things can be kept minimal, but at the same time very sexy. It has all the right curves and creases in the right places, without looking extremely busy or random. Oh well... I guess I'll be keeping a closer eye on the Fiesta, and hope Ford makes "sport" trims of those. But even then I'm a little disappointed at how much they're charging for a base hatchback model Fiesta. Sigh...

On a completely unrelated note, did anyone see the GMC Granite concept? I'm normally not a fan of boxy Scion xB style cars, but holy hell this thing looks gorgeous. I know a lot of Ford loyalists are going to flame me for this, and I myself have never been a GM supporter, but wow it looks pretty cool for what it is. Anyway I just figured I'd plug that in, if anyone might be interested in another fun looking small car/truck thingy.

EDIT: Agreed on the sedan trim looking better. There's just something about the hatchback model which bugs the hell out of me. And unfortunately I still want my next car to be a hatchback/coupe, which is why I'm so torn and heartbroken with the new look of the Focus.