Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Basic Bolt ons: Exhaust Headers/Flex Pipes
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #28
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Following may be useful>>
Ref: http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

When gasoline and air are mixed in such proportion to have complete combustion, in other words all the fuel and all the air are completely used, the resulting temperature will be in the 1500 F range. This temperature is far too hot for an internal combustion engine to sustain for any length of time without incurring catastrophic failure.

If the chemically perfect fuel-air mixture is altered, either by adding more air, or by adding more fuel, the combustion temperature will cool down. However, the amount of fuel available to the engine is directly related to the power that the engine produces. Thus, the fuel-air mixture is made richer to lower the combustion temperature, rather than leaner.

The maximum EGT considered to be safe is in the 1200 F to 1300 F range, depending upon the engine manufacturer, where the EGT probe is located, and the type of cooling system employed. A fuel-air mixture that produces an EGT above the recommended maximum is considered too lean, even though it is still too rich for complete combustion.

Somewhere on the web I found a graphic of the measured temps of a typical tube header. I will try and find it again.
Last of the Hatches #28