View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 PM   #587
Bobbr
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 71712
What I Drive: 2003 Yellow Ford Focus SVT w/EAP

FF Reputation: 1 Bobbr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Semi-Newbie Thrilled to Be Here...and I have Questions!

Hello Focus Folks!

I'm a "semi-newbie" to Focus, in the sense that I've actually been driving a Focus for about five years that belonged to my girlfriend who eventually became my wife. However, that car is a "stripper," a totally base 2003 4-door sedan. It has been my everyday, reliable daily-driver/beater...until I cracked it up earlier this month at 140K on the odometer. It was the first time I ever bent sheet metal on a car in 40 years of driving (damn aquaplaning in a rainstorm!), so I guess that ain't a bad record. Off to the scrap yard it goes, forcing me to search for another set of daily-driver wheels.

And I got....

A 2003 Focus SVT. LOVE IT! Sick quick. Sharp looking Infra-Red with Euro package. Just awesome. Several previous owners babied the car and made mods to the exhaust, suspension, and some select exterior pieces. I'm just lovin' it.

I've spent more than 30 years driving and modifying Italian sports cars, so I'm pretty good with a wrench. I'm not much interested in modding the SVT more than it is, and in fact, I want to retro-fit it with some stuff to bring it closer to stock, as it is my daily-driver and would like it to be a bit more suitable for that role.

So, I have a lot of questions which I may post elsewhere, but here are a few:

- Will a stock 16-inch alloy wheel fit the SVT? The SVT owners manual supplement shows a 16-inch wheel fitment as a possible choice. I ask because I want to buy a set of winter tires ASAP, and would prefer to mount them on 16-inch wheels rather than mounting them on the 17-inch Euro-style wheels now on the car. I'm just concerned that they'll clear the Brembo calipers currently fitted to the car. The Euro-style stock factory wheels fit perfectly and clear the brake calipers just fine. If 16-inch Focus alloys have the same offset as the 17s, I would assume they would work. Any input?

- My car is currently lowered with Eibach springs. Can I do a simple swap back to stock SVT springs? I don't know exactly what Eibach springs are fitted. The car isn't radically lowered...but it does ride a bit harsher than I'd like, and oh, those potholes in these northeastern winters! Yeah, I know...I love the handling, but I gotta pilot this thing through the winter, so I'm willing to compromise a bit on this trait.

I'll be searching the forum to find a set of stock SVT springs and a second set of stock wheels....16-inch if I hear they'll work.

Your input would be very much appreciated.

THANKS for building and maintaining this forum. I've been a member of several other automobile sites like this, and I know how valuable they can be in enhancing the enjoyment of one's cars.

Best wishes to everyone!

Bobb