Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - What race tracks have you run on?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
shlbygt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 23315
What I Drive: 04 SVT PWSC EAP

FF Reputation: 4 shlbygt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I kind of get around…

Autobahn North & South 2 Days Average at best.
Buttonwillow Park 5 Days A dusty old cottonfield that isn’t bad.
Calabogie 1 Day This is a fun track in Canada ehh?
Charlotte Motor Speedway: 4 Days Not bad for a roval.
Gingerman: 3 Days Not my cup of tea, but friends seem to like it. Get ice cream at Shermans.
Hallett (Both Directions): 2 Days A dirty old girl that doesn’t give you an inch of help, a real challenging course to drive well.
Heartland Park: 2 Days There are two kinds of weather here, hot and windy and cold and windy. The KC BMW Club has an event there called "Surface of the Sun".
Laguna Seca: 8 Days Very challenging but doesn’t seem to flow well for me.
Las Vegas Motor Speedway: 2 Days Infield road course, nothing special.
Mid America (MAM): 2 Days Been there done that, didn’t buy a T shirt.
Mid Ohio: 4 Days A difficult course in the dry and treacherous when wet. A V6 rental Mustang will carry the left front over Madness.
Miller East & Long Course 3 Days God it is long and flat.
Mosport: 2 Days You have to screw up your courage to go fast. Fairly easy to drive but if you make a mistake it will hurt badly,very badly.
New Jersey Thunderbolt 1 Day A surprisingly fun track that has elements of VIR(the esses before the bridge), Calabogie and Gingerman.
Putnam Park 2 Days Okay, but nothing special.
Pikes Peak 2 Days An okay roval, but small.
Road America 11 Days See below.
Road Atlanta 2 Days I haven’t driven it since the improvements but the esses are a blast. It is just out of my top five.
Sears Point 9 Days See below.
Sebring 10 Days See below.
Summit Point Main, Jefferson & Shenandoah 19 Days A lot of variety depending on the circuit. My first track day was on Summit Point Main.
Texas World Speedway (both directions) 8 Days This is a fun track. It is old, decrepit and fast. I like it better clockwise. Great BBQ in College Station.
Thunderhill Park 6 Days A dusty old rice/sunflower field that isn’t bad.
VIR 1 Day See below.
Watkins Glen 18 Days See below.
Willow Springs 2 Days A fast, good old fashioned natural terrain course, did I mention it is FAST. I can still see Ken Miles man handling a GT 350 around there.

The top five are:

Road America; you can’t beat the Brats and RFG potatoes. There is nothing else like the Kink through Kettle Bottoms coming into Canada Corner at speed.
Watkins Glen; if you don’t get wood coming up through the esses while flat out you are not alive, even women… Also diving into the Bus Stop then getting back on the gas for the Carousel then down into the Boot, what a ride. They charge for repairing and repainting the Armco so mind your manners. Have to stay at the "rustic" Seneca Lodge. Free WiFi but no telephones???
Sebring; old, flat, rough and fast. Looking up above the garage stalls and reading off the manufactures that have won the 12 Hours is inspiring. From turn 5 to 16 is an absolute blast and as fast as any of the straights.
Sears Point; a natural terrain course that flows well and is challenging. It used to look like someone dropped asphalt on the side of a hill exactly where it needed to go before they started “improving” it for NASCAR.
VIR; long, fast and simply beautiful. From turn 3 to the Oak Tree, it just doesn’t get any better than this.