Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - What race tracks have you run on?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
been doing track days since 2007, started racing this year.

I think I've logged over 2000 miles on track to date. running with EMRA, NASA and now racing mostly with SCCA

Track list:
  • Watkins Glen NY,
    Long course 4 track days, one race,
    Short course one race. (current Finger Lakes Region SCCA track record holder on short course for STU but probably not for long.....)
  • Lime Rock Park CT-
    4 track days, one 41 lap race & Instructed there once.
  • NJ Motorsports park.
    Thunderbolt, 2 track days. & crewed for a friend
    Lightning 3.5 track days, SCCA race school, one race, instructed there once, flagged there once.
  • Summit Pt WV.
    Main course - 1 track day, 1 race
  • Pocono PA
    East Course 2.5 track days, first course I ever ran and the beginning of this addiction.
    North course 5 track days, popped my D20 engine there, crewed for a friend.
    South Course - 1 track day.

A good range of my videos are up on you tube here....
http://www.youtube.com/user/fsp505
Favorite tracks - well since a bad day on track is always better than a good day at work, I find something I like at every track, but if I had to choose one, it would be Watkins Glen since it's got the history behind it and actually being there the first time for me was quasi religious experience. Having raced there now if only once means I can die in peace.

Here's my pros & cons list.
  • Watkins Glen NY,
    PROS- Awesome track, lots of challenges and just an exciting venue. Plenty of garage and paved paddock space, good EMT and medical services on site. GReat place to bring the family, since there is plenty to do around town etc after the racing is done. I always plan to hang around there an extra day.
    CONS - track fees are higher, and NASCAR owners like to throw full course yellow if someone gets a hangnail which can easily cut into track time excessively. Getting out of shape in the wrong places can get expensive, even if it;s just the fees for having guardrail replaced. (like $350 for each section damaged!)
  • Lime Rock Park CT-
    PROS - Another classic track, good place to learn how to develop a "rhythm" and I like trail braking into turn one. The recently resurfaced track is sweeeeet! The uphill turn and big bend offer good "white knuckle" and "pucker factor" elements.
    CONS - very expensive now, no garages, limited paddock space you have to drive down into town about 5-7 miles to access anything like food, lodging or reasonably priced gasoline.
  • NJ Motorsports park.
    PROS - overall a great new facility at reasonable prices. Each track has different challenges. Both seem to be very safe but very exciting at the same time. I have to run the Thuderbolt course again to decide which one I like better. They have rooms for rent on site, but not sure what the pricing has gone up too, and YOU HAVE TO BOOK EARLY!
    CONS - When it rains, there can be major flooding, when it's dry, its a dustbowl. Thuderbolt has more facilities, but the paddock is cut in half by the garages, and if not set-up well, it can turn into a maze with pit exit or entrance having to go directly past the main garage area.

There are good attractions in town if you want dinner and drinks, but not much for kids to do unless you want to pay to have them run on the karting track while you run on the big one. I don't think they have showers there yet.
  • Summit Pt WV.
    Main course -
    PROS it's a very cool track to drive, good technical parts a fast downhill main straight. The facilities are OK, but nothing has been updated in a while. PRICES are usually the best bang for the buck! the food is decent and they have showers. Not much nearby, plan on camping and BBQ is your best bet.
    CONS - the track was resurfaced in 07, and has been tearing apart in spots so its already being patched and a bit bumpy in places. the paddock is mostly grass/gravel but otherwise OK. some parts of the track have a steep drop-off, and the grass is not level with the track. If you drop a wheel off you can scrape the suspension/chassis and getting all 4 wheels back on the pavement quickly can be challenging
  • Pocono PA
    I run here alot cause it's close to home and typically inexpesive.
    PROS price, location, plenty of garage space and paddock space. weather is typically good. the facilities are great. I think my favorite of the 3 here is the south course, it's a twisted mess and has sort of a triple apex turn in off the main straight. Easy ride in off of I-80 with some local attractions. It's mainly a ski resort area, not much going on in the off season though.
    CONS well, these are "infield" courses taken off the main tri-oval that NASCAR runs. the transitions tend to be bumpy, there are no runoffs or gravel traps, and most of the infield is NOT graded so it can get REAL bumpy in some spots if you go off track. Since it;s all flat on the infield, there is little character to the tracks, no blind uphill turns, or significant elevation changes. but the superspeedway sections are liked by the big bore guys. It's like racing in Kansas minus the cornfields.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...