Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Trying to reduce road noise
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 01:07 AM   #1
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

Points 26,532, Level 97
Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Trying to reduce road noise

One of the first negative things I noticed about the Focus, is the somewhat loud tire/road noise on medium to course surfaced roads. I have already treated the doors with sound deadening treatments with good results. A noticeable reduction in overall road noise was achieved. The noise from the tires touching the road was still kinda loud. I thought about this for some time now and realized that if the noise is coming from the wheels, then cut the noise at the source. The front fenders have a thin plastic inner fender that is the first defense against tire noise. I decided to get some rubberized undercoat spray, it says for sound deadening right on the can! I easily removed the inner fender wells with a few plastic fasteners and sprayed on a few coats inside and out. It took 3 cans @ $3.75 each to give good coverage. I think 2 cans per fender would have been better, but Kragen only had 3 left. If this gives the result I would like I may use it in many other areas especially under the cargo area which has some factory undercoat but many areas are still bare. I'll test it out tomorrow and report on the results.