Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Duratec Intake Manifold Removal and PCV hose replacement
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 31,959, Level 100
Points: 31,959, Level: 100 Points: 31,959, Level: 100 Points: 31,959, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtadd162 View Post
im waiting for mine to go...
i dont know about you Evan or anybody else with the Cosi Mani but with that freakin plumbing thread i could literally only get that tap to go in halfway, i didnt want to crack anything...so rather than a short hose that the instructions call for...i just have a longer one :-D ...
Yeah i had the same issue with the hose fitting, it seems as though every piece of hardware that came with the manifold was either the wrong thread pattern or too long. My first fix was with a longer hose but that ripped as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk_04_zx3_2.3 View Post
Did anyone else having this failed hose have a problem with the idle being too high or get a lean code? It took me a while before I realized what was causing all of that.

This job is a serious PITA. I wish I'd have done what warneej did--I sure don't feel good about the new Ford piece I put back on there.

There's no telling what all got sucked up by that damned crack. My intake manifold was all gunked up. The tumble flaps were pretty caked too. It took a while to clean it all up. Hope there's no long term damage.

I highly recommend putting something sticky/gooey on your socket--a dab of grease should do it--when reinstalling bolts. I dropped one and it took a while to figure out which bottomless pit the thing disappeared down!

I hope the next time I have to do this, I'll remember what I did before. ;)
I didn't get a code or anything and the symptoms were different both times. The first time my engine started running like I had a massive vacuum leak, although I couldn't find one. Symptoms included idling like I had a massive cam, terrible gas mileage, lean spikes, etc. The second time the car ran just fine however it just made that super loud whining noise.

When I pulled off my stock manifold (the PCV hose was still working fine mind you) mine too was caked with goo. I think its what comes through the EGR that causes that. I deleted that in my tune.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6