Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Sad day for this bird....
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #76
tpivette
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 69410
What I Drive: just an old chevy

FF Reputation: 1 tpivette Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheat View Post
those are 1/4 mile times.... 1/8 mile is different.....

i don't doubt that the car in the video probably would have killed him in a 1/4 mile, it probably didn't get into its power band on such a short track.... the focus isn't a straight lane car, but with the d23 the short track provides a nice advantage w/ the hp/tq combo those cars have.... the sub '93 bird he raced is 1 - heavier, which means that it takes longer to get up and going and 2 - if it was auto then it fails at life anyway!!!!

i don't see why you guys are trying to bash his win, FJ is over there 8===>
i never said he didnt win. in fact, i congratulated him at the end of my post. however, i made attempt to inform the members here about the cars in question that were discussed in this thread (high 14s from a stock LT1... are you insane???)

4cyls arent known for their low end... V8s, however, are known for it which shouldve helped the firebird (if thats what it actually had under the hood) in a short 1/8 mile race. if anything, the focus wouldve been the faster car from a roll. i calculated his 1/4 mile E/T based on his 1/8 mile run, and came up with a 16.4. while not 100% accurate, it is pretty close (ive done this on my numerous 1/4 mile runs... using my 1/8 mile data on the slip and doing the math, it comes out very close to the actual full 1/4 run). take the 1/8 mile time and multiply by 1.55 to get approx what youd turn in the full 1/4

any motor in the aforementioned firebird has an extremely low powerband (5000rpm and the party's over) so the whole arguement that it maybe didnt get into its powerband falls flat. also, the bird shouldve gotten off the line quicker due to its low end torque and RWD platform. the focus, on the other hand, would have the opposite effect... a higher powerband and the spinning off-the-line characteristcs of FWD. this is why most 4cyl cars like to go from a rolling start during street encounters vs running from a stop (AWD cars nonewithstanding). the focus's lazy 2.4 sec 60ft times mirror this, and prove that those kinds of cars just dont launch well

again, its obvious the focus won, however, i just dont think the car he was up against had a V8