Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - MPG poll
Thread: MPG poll
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #560
MellowYellow
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 58759
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX5 Zetec 2.0 Manual 5

FF Reputation: 1 MellowYellow Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tire pressure effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin1234 View Post
Why would someone inflate their tires beyond what is suggested for simply a small mpg gain? I can think on a number of negative effects that would cancel out any mpg gain.
-- Uneven tire wear
-- Higher tire temps leading to more wear and increased possibility of blow outs
-- Increased possibility of accident due to less traction because the tire doesn't have an even patch of tread on the ground (more on the middle, less on the sides)
-- Increased wear on suspension and higher possibility of bending a wheel due to less energy being adsorbed by the tires (harsher ride)
With higher pressure and less deflection, the tire should run cooler.
The higher pressure effect on traction varies by the tire model.
Higher pressure results in less chance of bending a wheel, since a severe bump (such as a speed bump) deflects the tire less. This is important, especially for low profile tires.
My observation is that manufacturer pressure label for most cars is designed for a cushy ride, and higher pressure results in better handling and economy.