Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - "pass under yellow" - You Make The Call!
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAsp View Post
I am a long time SCCA racer (I might even be one of the guys who started doing this before you were born...)
LOL!

Quote:
From my vantage point, the important part to this equation is that you INITIATED and EXECUTED overtaking PRIOR to the Yellow flag being displayed to you.

As a result, the pass was legal.
Well, that's the fuzzy part...

IF you stop the video and look real careful at the flagstation way at driver's left on the outside of the turn, you can see a waving yellow.

I'm not 100% sure when it came out, and I don't remember seeing it.

It's a pretty slow corner, and I was coming up on the inside. I was just minding the position of the Miata with my peripheral vision, and looking ahead around the corner to the right. Judging by how late and hard everyone got on the brakes, I don't know who saw what, but as I approached the apex I just saw cars swerving and braking to avoid the SRF carnage and debris!

I was kind of proud to think I came through that mess as a rookie without tweaking my fenders, or adding to the carnage.

Same goes for the first spin I had during a race back in July. When I knew I could not recover, I dumped both feet in. The car just slid in a nice striaght line, and I stopped high on the track at the entrance to a big sweeper. I corded a tire, but stayed out of harms way. (I dread the idea of shooting back into traffic after a spin. )

Quote:
Trust me, if you were naughty, the officials WILL find you.
Yes indeed they would, and I had no reason to go looking for trouble.....

Thanks for the kind words and sound advice.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...