View Single Post
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (67)
well, then i guess i'm asking, why do the A/F ratio's drop below 14.7 under WOT? i mean, i was thinking if the motor could stay maybe say at 100* F (just throwing a low number out there), or even less, then it could stay at 14.7 because the motor wouldn't get too hot, no timing would be pulled and no predetination. I've always thought that the most power would be made at 1.0 Lamda. (in an ideal state) but do to real world factors, motors really can't be run at 14.7:1 under load. so do to heat, we have to run the motors richer to keep them cooler.

the reason i was thinking this is because of all the new Ecoboost engines. they are turbo'd and direcet injected and i think they have some sort of VCT or whatever solenoid based valve control . DI motors have much higher fuel PSI and are sprayed directly over the piston crown much more evenly than in the zetec. thus helping to cool the piston and in return giving a more complete combustion. but since the fuel is helping to keep the motor cooler, i'm thinking they can run the motor a bit leaner safer.

I dunno, do u follow my logic?? I'm just curious and as i'm learing more about direct injection, it intriuges me. and i was just thinking that they can squeeze a bit more power out of them because they are able to keep them a bit cooler. even if only by a few degrees. but i think the theory still holds up, i'm not sure.

like i said, just curious!!

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.