Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Launching with an auto
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have installed a Lentech valve body by itself. I'll give you my perception on it.

When the computer learns your driving, the shifting is definitely firmer and quicker in regular driving, but if you're at WOT it will slip into gears about the same as stock... at least that's how it feels.

Now if you pull the battery and reset the ECU, you can tell the shifts are really firm at WOT because you can feel it physically pulling the car hard as it shifts. I think in order to get your shifts to work *properly* with the recal valve body, you need a tune to set trans psi and other things that I'm not sure what they are but I've heard Tom reference lol. But that way your shifts won't soften up once the ECU does the learning procedure and maps out everything.

Oh and I've gotta throw Tom's name out there because he raced with a Lentech Auto Focus for a while and knows a lot about tuning the transmissions from experience. So look him up for a tune.

I've always wanted to reset the ECU and run a 1/4mi and then do it again after the computer mapped to see what the difference is, but I haven't. It would be interesting to see how much the time would be different based on the shifts being really firm and quick and the A/F and other things not being completely adjusted.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA