Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Launching with an auto
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #13
uncle tail
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41846
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 uncle tail Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterst View Post
I'm going to try the steelies next time, and see what happens. I'm not ready for drag radials, as I had very little wheel spin at the line. I did try overdrive off the first pass, and have to agree with you. It only took once to know it wasn't right. I'm thinking a tach will help my launch. It's only a guessing game at this point.

I'm going to re ask this:
Has anyone installed a Lentec valvebody? And, since the PCM controls it, how much different can it be, compared to stock?

But, add this question,
Anyone get a tune for a stock auto? And, have before, and after timeslips?
Hi, as for the steelies, theres a few things to think about (eventually) the smaller the diameter of the wheel, the quicker it will accelerate....and the lighter the wheel, the quicker it will accelerate (re: Unsprung mass or weight).That's a little too fine an adjustment for a guy just getting into it, though.

So on the Lentec side, yes I have a Lentec street terminator tranny (w/ LSD) with his valve body. It is built to handle 250 whp (I am at around 230).

I ran my stock auto with a Focus Sport tune through my Xcal 2 for a couple of years. This tune offered me adjustability of my shift mph (+/-) as well as a "Aggressive shifting at WOT" option. That is what you want. It increases the line pressure under load, higher line pressure=safer shifting=faster shifting (less chance of slip). For where you are at, I would recommend you find a similiar tune with some user adjustability. You just tell them your ECU # and they will send it to you. I haven't been on the FS or CFM website for a while but either should be fine (I lean towards CFM, Will is a great guy).

As well, I will point out that the Lentec valve body will not make any more difference than the WOT tune, so I would spend my money there first. If you start getting big HP levels, then you might actually end up with a built tranny.

Don't let ANYONE on here tell you it's a waste of time racing with an auto. You got what you got, work with it. And a tach will definately help you out, Bro.

I would like to recommend you get a NOS wet shot kit (35-50-75 hp adjustability) you will kick ass on your ET and mph without needing to do massive mods like turbo, etc. It's the easiest way to get the speed you crave.
ZETEC CREW #123
ATX Faction #48
PW. Lentec. Eibach. MBRP. CFM. Comp 2's. NOS
1972 Mach1 351C