Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Welcome Newbies To FF
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 PM   #419
FightingChance
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 67319
What I Drive: ?

FF Reputation: 1 FightingChance Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not sure if I should post this here or the General section, but I'll try here first.

The internet has been an incredible boon to automobile ownership. There are so many things I was able to learn or fix on my previous Saturn SC2 through SaturnFans that I know forums like this are indenspensible.

Well, eventually that Saturn cost more to upkeep than it was worth, so I sold it. I commute on my motorcycle, but if I want to do trackdays (or ever take a girl on a date) I need a car. The Ford Focus seems to represent one of the best small car values on the market, sitting at a crossroads of refinement, reliability, and (lack of) appeal.

I'm not throwing around insults, just observations - the Japanese hatches carry a huge used car premium due to their lineage, as do the German cars. The Focus has the same quality, but none of the 'star power' of those other cars, making it an excellent value.

Anyway, I found a private seller who's selling an '06 ZX3 SE in manual. However, the car is salvage title from (what I understand to be) an accident that caved in the flank of the car behind the door. I do not yet know if the unibody had to be welded/repaired yet because I have not seen the car in person. Also, as probably a result of that impact, the SRS light is on in the dash (owner says bags were not/are not blown.)

I am not afraid of a repaired car at all, however I do draw a line at damage that will affect the longevity/driveability of the car. My question to you is, is this an automatic walk away? Or should I pursue this?