Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - How-To: Oh Sh!t Handle Removal
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59197
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

Points 1,884, Level 25
Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25 Points: 1,884, Level: 25
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 4 kris4christ2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i painted my handles, but in a slightly different way:

-Using two Needle nose Pliers

You may not need to take the clips off that "hold" the spring in place. Try first without breaking it off. If you're scared or don't wanna break anything, then I guess just use the method first made for this thread.

**NOTE: Make note of where the ends of the spring are inserted. This is important for reinstalling (and if the spring pops off, which may certainly happen).**

Damn JPEG Blurryness

1. I just broke off those annoying clips. They hold the spring in place, but just got in the way for me. You never really see them anyway, so it didn't bother me.

2. Take a small screwdriver and pry the U-shaped pieces up. There are little notches on the handle so you can pry and pinch it out.

The handle should come right off at this point.

Paint it to your liking and then reinstall The Reinstall is reversed from taking it off.

Pop the handle back on the pegs/hooks and slip the little U-shaped pieces back on (the right way).

Now, this next part is the hardest because you have to bend the spring back into the little slot. (This is why I got frustrated and just ripped those clip covers off - but you probably won't have to!)

I used one plier to grasp the End of the spring and bend it in as far as possible.

Then, I used another plier to grab a little farther down on the spring and push it in place. It will make better sense when doing it.

In case you can't read the picture:
The shorter "leg" of the spring is toward the top, and goes in first if it happens to fall off.

The Longer "leg" of the spring is toward the bottom, and that end has to be pushed down into the little 'slot' with the plier(s).

And, that's how I painted my handles. I hope it can help someone out there