Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Thermostat housing leak
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #38
MarkZX3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 63511
What I Drive: 2003 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 MarkZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Okay, I give up on getting the Dorman water outlet housing

Autopartsdirect will not contact me back about returning the OEM housing I got from them

I don't like the OEM inner tube section that fords calls a seal

So I decided to go shopping for an after market water outlet to head seal.
Auto Zone,
Napa,
Advance Auto,
ect...

Now the problem is that I ended up buying seals from of the those places, they all were different, after I got them ALL home it was for sure that some of the places sold me a fuel pump seal for an 83 Audi (or whatever they fit)

But going through the seals I found ONE very interesting one that shows some hope.
The seal looks WAY more like a REAL seal!
its not a slice out of an inner tube,
its not an O-ring,
The outter edge is somewhat rounded,
but the inner side is more flat with some ribs,
The back and the front of the seal has a smaller sealing lip that stands out slightly above a wider (thicker) base,
The seals more stuff fits the housing's seal recess. once its fitted in the housing its LOOKS like a much nicer fit, I can't see it flipping over anyway.

The brand of the seal is,
Victor Reinz,

The part number is,
#C31611

I downloaded the Victor Reinz seal catalog (PDF file) and I looked the seal up myself and it does show it listed as the water outlet housing to head seal for the 2.0 Zetec.

No! I've not installed the housing YET! but its going to happen VERY soon, I will also be using the Victor Reinz seal! I've got a much better feeling about the OEM housing working with this after market seal! I'll post some updates after the job.
MarkZX3