Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - VCT fail + front O2 slow (P1381 P1383 P0133)
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #41
mellephants
omn-nom-nomnomnomnom

Fan#: 52400
What I Drive: 12 SE, 91 DR350S, 74 CL360

FF Reputation: 12 mellephants Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
yea

I have an extra DD car, lift access, and my friends and I are all itching for the chance to build a motor ourselves.

The only problem I don't know how to solve is the money problem. I want forged internals (near stock CR), but I cannot afford it right now. I don't want to spend money on new OEM pistons/rods, because for the money I might as well go with forged stuff.

I already have a single set of rings for an SVTF piston, and three good used SVTF pistons+rods (not counting the three that are still "ok" in my car), so unfortunately the only way I can think of to get the car back on the road is to pick the best of the three used pistons, re-ring it, and slap it in.

cheap ass parts list
Head gasket $60
Gaskets $50ish?
Rod bearings $36
total: $146 + shipping

the right way parts list
Head gasket $60
Gaskets $50ish?
Rod bearings $36
Main bearings $48
ARP main studs $85
Probe pistons: $350 (cheapest I saw, don't know if thats what I would be going with)
Eagle rods: $340 (^^ same)
total: $969 + shipping

in addition, I'd have to rent a honing tool at the very least, if doing this the right way then have to take the block to a machine shop for block checking + honing

what am I missing?

also, on a scale of 1-10 (1=smart, 10=jackass) how effing stupid will it be to do it the "cheapass get the car back on the road way"? I vote 7.5; the alternative is to leave it sitting at the farm until I have the money to do it right... which might be awhile.