Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - SC vs. turbo in autoX
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #35
blackoutSVT
Lurking

Fan#: 52102
What I Drive: 86 sportster1100, 12 Focus SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 9 blackoutSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_fan View Post
Well, when you say track, do you mean time trials, NASA,...other?

My experience is with SCCA sanctioned events, or events ran in a similar manner. The courses we run in our local region keep speeds to the guidelines set in the SCCA rulebook.

Personally, I don't like to see the preception spread that autocross is a sport where you are going to go out there and crash your car, roll it over, run into barriers etc. These are questions I often get when working to introduce others to the sport. Sure people are going to spin their car, but most of time you can put two feet in and shut things down pretty quickly.

Now if your talking about time trials or non-scca events, then that's another spectrum of racing.
no no not time trials.. it is SCCA... just not parking lot auto X... it is basically the same thing on a large scale... depending on where we are at we will set cones up and do it that way but other times we are running on open track. it is a lot of fun... and you are right if all i herd about autoX was how im going to crash than i would never go.. when i started going i had people tell me kinda as a heads up this could happen.. i have never wrecked my self i have come close but never did...

if this is something you have never done before i recommend doing it at least once to get the experience from it... any one can tell you how much fun auto X is...

now back on topic.. i asked this same question two. and with i was told was that in a turn with a turbo when u hit the apex of the turn and are starting to come out of it and you hit the gas if you turbo is small enough it will hit max boost in the turn and can!! cause u to lose control. now i have lost full control of my car before and it never crashed but it scared the shit out of me. so i have been told by others not to go turbo.. now since my car is my daily driver and i do other forms of racing i want the turbo for the pick up i also want the extra power for the long run after some turns to get better time.. i could get the same result with a SC but im just a bigger fan of turbos...lol...

i guess what it all comes down to is do what you feel you can handle...