Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Calabogie Motorsports Park... should I go or not?
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

Points 24,006, Level 94
Points: 24,006, Level: 94 Points: 24,006, Level: 94 Points: 24,006, Level: 94
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravter View Post
I will be getting the "Track Orientation" which is an extra 50$. They also suggest I get an instructor since I have very limited experience, but at an extra 150$!!!
This is starting to be quite expensive. I'm just not sure anymore. I know I won't be going nuts, but don't want to hold back other attendees on the track.
About your experience. I would want to throw some ideas out here.

Be honest, are you familiar with basic "car control"?

Do you understand understeer/oversteer and how your throttle and brake inputs affect these?

Are you familair with basic cornering skills, and terms. Turn-in/Apex/Track Out?

If you have any idea what I'm talking about above, then you can probably figure the rest out on track, if not there is still hope.

If you are comfortable handling a car at high speeds, even if it's drag racing, then a track event in a 150HP Focus should not be a big problem. In most cases you will be put in a beginniner group since most tracks try not to mix real advanced drivers with first timers.

IF you can afford the extra $150, I highly advise it. Spending the extra $$ just means you will get more out of your time there and work up to higher speeds quicker. But if you are used to drag racing etc with bigger HP cars, then you should be OK with this if you just take your time at first. The faster guys will just find thier way around you. (happens to me all the time!)

Did anyone have to teach you how to drag race?

Anyway, the "track orientation" should be enough to keep you out of trouble unless you are a complete hack behind the wheel. Just don't get carrried away, and stay within your own limits.

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...