Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - How to: remove rear seats w/ pics
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
bonejob
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 32065
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 9 bonejob Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Great write-up, but I have a question...

When I am driving, especially on the lunar surface streets of Madison, WI, I hear an infernal squeaking from the rear seat area. Just for kicks, I made my wife ride in the back seat yesterday on our commute to work. MIRACLE!! NO SQUEAKING! As soon as I dropped her off at her job and the rear seat was vacant once more, the squeaking returned. At the end of the day when I picked her up, I made her get in the rear seat again, and once again the squeaking disappeared. This problem seems obvious, right? Something in the rear seat is squeaking, and the weight of a person sitting on the seat stops it.

The trouble is, I have tried everything short of removal and disassembly of the seat to find out what is causing the problem. I tried moving the seat bottom up and down, that hinge does not squeak. Moving each half of the upper, no squeaks there either. Fold the seats down altogether, in cargo mode, squeak is still there. It only goes silent when the seats are up and someone is sitting back there.

Oh, and I thought of the seat belts, too. The reels do not squeak and I even tried fastening the belts with no one in the seat and that did not quiet the squeaking either. The only thing that quiets it is the weight of something substantial - like a human body.

Since you have completely disassembled the seats, I think that qualifies you as an expert on Focus rear seats. WHERE is this squeaking coming from and how can I silence it - short of permanently strapping my wife into the seat and never letting her out?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.