substanger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63761
What I Drive: 2003 Focus/1993 Mustang 'vert 5.0

FF Reputation: 3 substanger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster6144 View Post
any one got any idea about brake systems...i.ve just fitted new pads to my focus 1.8 tddi estate 2000..now the pedal is soft and goes to the floor when pressed with the engine running when pumped goes hard and.. when engine turned off the foot pedal is hard...i.ve checked a number of times but no fluid leak...all the symptoms of a leak in the fluid system but nothing can be seen any where thanks
What you are describing actually sounds normal to me. Your pedal will initially be soft and it will go to the floor as you pump the brakes after installing new pads until the pistons are firmly seated against the new pads and the new pads make contact with the rotors. Once that happens, your brake pedal should be hard. If I'm reading your post correctly, this is what is happening. Once you stated your pedal was hard, you didn't mention again the soft pedal that went to the floor.

Basically what happened is when you pressed in the caliper pistons to install the new pads, you placed the pistons all the way into the caliper housing. Upon pressing the brake pedal after installation, that piston has to reseat against the pads and then the rotors which is what caused the pedal to go to the floor.

Are your brakes STILL soft and spongy when depressing after SEVERAL pumps?
2003 Focus. Former U.S. Navy Submariner-13 yrs. 2nd career-Ford driveability tech-8 yrs. 3rd career-vehicle service contract mechanical claims adjuster for Zurich North America (aftermarket warranty) and U.S. Air Force reservist.