View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #31
sffish
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 47718
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 sffish Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I did my timing belt over the winter using this thread. There are a few differences and things to note:

1) I used an electric impact gun to break loose the bolt which holds the harmonic balancer to the crankshaft. If you're doing your own timing belt be aware that you'll have to get that bolt loose somehow.
2) I didn't use the special Ford bolt that you use to find TDC for the engine. I couldn't figure out where the access hole for it was. The bolt that I thought was the correct one was behind the exhaust manifold and virtually impossible to get to without removing the manifold. I simply set the cams using the Ford cam locking tool, then marked the timing belt at each cam sprocket and at the crankshaft sprocket using some wite out. I took the old belt off and lined it up with the new belt using the teeth and transferred the marks over to the new belt. I then used those marks on the new belt to line everything up when putting the new belt on the crankshaft and 2 camshaft pulleys.

Everything runs well. Just as a funny aside, I did the timing belt because I thought the water pump was bad and leaking coolant. I figured while I was in there doing the water pump I'd do the timing belt as well. I had planned on doing the belt this spring, I hate wrenching when it's cold in the winter. I put everything back together and started her up and she still leaked! It was the coolant hose right next to the water pump which was leaking. That hose clamp to that hose is hard as hell to get to as well. I couldn't put a set of pliers to compress it to remove it. I had to use a special tool for compress that hose clamps.

han