Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Question about shifting on track
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #32

Fan#: 57330
What I Drive: 2004 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 age Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
yes i have been to the track, thanks. i'll do an in-car video nxt time i go, and post it up just for your entertainment.

and whats so funny about my example? when learning, many mistakes are made. one of which may include shifting mid-corner when it isnt nessesary. some corners however, force you to brake/ downshift and turn simultaneously. if you were really hammering it, shifting without heel-toe could very well be enough to break traction.

try rolling in 3rd gear at 4000 rpm. now drop it into 2nd without blipping the throttle. note the significant jerk. all im saying is that this is not what you want when you are setting up for a high commitment corner. and by heel-toeing, you can avoid much of this jolt, keeping your car settled as you enter the corner.

first time at the track, you have more than enough on your plate without the car jerking around just before a corner. so if you can heel-toe proficiently (or by 2nd nature as mlbbaseball says) by the time you get on the track, you will have one less thing to worry out.

first time i went, common questions asked by fellow track go-ers were "is it manual?" followed by "can you heel-toe?". i replied "yes" to both questions and they would reply "good". so i assumed heel-toe was a pretty normal thing to do on the track.

i realise i seem to have a difference in opinion with the rest of you. so if you think i am wrong (and thats absolutely fine), please say why and state your opinion as opposed to simply "you are so wrong." that doesnt help anyone.