Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Yellow ! light comes on
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #13
rgvtx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61243
What I Drive: 2001 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 rgvtx Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Problem Solved, Finally...

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I sort of stumbled into the problem yesterday and it wasn't any of the ideas mentioned. For those of you who mentioned you have a similar problem when hitting a bump, listen up.
I ran into a mechanic at a local Ford dealership and I mentioned the problem I was having. We live on a very rough road and I figured it had something to do with all the bumps the Focus has to pass over daily. He said now and then you find a broken wire, or even a loose wire that will kill the engine and cause the yellow idiot light to come on. He told them the name of the wire, but of course now I don't recall what it was. Anyway, it the black wire connected to the ground cable at the battery post. The large cable is of course the main ground, and there is a medium size as well as a small size wire. He said to check the medium size. I figured I would just grasp the wire and bend and wiggle it looking for a possible break, but I didn't have to go any further than the terminal. It seems the nut that holds those two smaller wires was loose for some reason. I've never taken that nut off for any reason, and as I said before I've owned this car since new in '01. Also, it only has around 45 thousand miles on it.
So, a simple solution to what seemed like a problem with no solution.