Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - internal wastegate vs. external wastegate.
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
focusfreak03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20385
What I Drive: OLD:03 ZX3;NEW: SRT-4

FF Reputation: 50 focusfreak03 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer View Post
for 230-250 whp an internal wastegate setup will probably be cheaper and work fine.. there are people pushing over 350whp with an internal wastegate setup.

Focussport made 396whp on a 2.0 duratec pushing 26psi with an internal wastegate
i never said that you couldn't have high pressure, high power setups with an internal, but the ability to hold boost better with an external setup, boost control, and reliability is a lot better compared to an internal. plus, if anything goes wrong with the external wastegate, it is tons easier to tinker with it than if you have an internal setup where you would have to take the turbo out which would require you to unhook all of the lines going to and from. plus if the internal wg somehow gets messed up, it could end up being a costly repair whereas the external gate you would just have to get a new one or call the company and get the specific part that you need.

Midwest Crew #14