Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - internal wastegate vs. external wastegate.
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
focusfreak03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 20385
What I Drive: OLD:03 ZX3;NEW: SRT-4

FF Reputation: 50 focusfreak03 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fordfastback View Post
that was a really good explanation. thank you. i guess the only other question i have is to what psi is the internally regulated turbo good for. here's the thing. i have a zx3 with basic mods (cai, udp, bosal cat back exhaust, plugs, and wires) im wanting to get around 230- 250 hp
it just depends on the turbo. even some of the bigger turbos, not sure which ones off the top of my head, have internal wastegates, but most just weld them shut and put an external gate on their setup for reliability and control purposes. if you haven't gotten a turbo yet and are leaning more towards the external gate, make sure you either find one without internal or try and order it with an exhaust housing the doesn't have it. if you find one that you can't get without the internal, then just get it and have someone take the flapper off and weld a plate over the whole. also, if you get an external, make sure you get the right size, 35, 38, 42mm etc. like i said before, to big or too small is bad. on the focus, you will more than likely have a smaller one unless you are doing a major build with a big turbo. i think that the 35 or 38mm sizes should be good for most foci applications.

good luck with the build.

Midwest Crew #14