wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD40 View Post
The best base to start from is a stock car.
I still stand behind my suggestion of using stock SVT springs and dampers.
A novice driver will not get 100% out of a stock SVT (handling wise) for quite some time.
IOW, again...work on the driver first.
As you get faster and more experienced, you'll learn what (if anything) the car needs to improve.
Absolutely, I think my past season until now is a good example. I starting running with the roush suspension kit, including a 22mm rear swaybar. It took me nearly 12 events to finally get to the point where I can look far enough ahead on the course, and have the best timing for my inputs to start to get the most out of my car.

This past weekend, I went through our novice school here in SCR, and was the third fastest novice overall (beaten only by a S2000 and a Miata with drivers with some experience). Had I done the school a year ago, I would have been at the bottom of the list for sure.

I also know there is still more to be had from the car. I can still be smoother and quicker with some inputs. I still break the inside wheel loose coming out of some turns. I can be closer to cones in slaloms and sharp turns. I am getting better at recognizing where I need to stay fully on the throttle while going through a given course element.

As far as improving the driver, IMO, learning to look ahead is the most important and hardest skill to improve upon.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"