Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - CFM Tubular Front Control Arms NOW AVAILABLE!
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 12:30 AM   #67
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
okay cool. But i'd still like to see the technical material analysis myself.

another thing, you say you swerve and corner hard to test the arms.... I would agree with the manufacturer's claim that the arms are designed plenty strong for sustained loading like this. What I believe failed that arm (and what I believe is a overlooked situation for the design) was a shock load causing creep or fast fracture due to a crack. This can only be tested in the real world by driving over lots and lots of bumps and potholes. This type of failure is also made more possible when a metal that work hardens (like a steel with high alloy content) is used. Shock loading is MUCH more damaging to welds and metals than sustained loading.

Long story short, and my view on these arms from day 1: It would be next to impossible to break one of these arms just by cornering hard. But for daily driving duties in a city with rough roads, I would be concerned.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!