Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - CFM Tubular Front Control Arms NOW AVAILABLE!
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 AM   #66
CFM Focus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1021
What I Drive: '01 ZX3 w/ Vortech

Points 2,035, Level 27
Points: 2,035, Level: 27 Points: 2,035, Level: 27 Points: 2,035, Level: 27
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 CFM Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Today I visited the manufacturer of our control arms to discuss the results of their analysis of the failure and they insist that it is an extremely rare occurence due to a weak spot in that particular piece of tubing. I was told that in the 8 years that they have been in business, they have had only two pieces of tubing have broken while being bent and that this is the first control arm failure (I googled for any other reported failures and couldn't find anything). They have offered to add a gusset to the area which is prone to failure even though they consider it unnecessary due to the original design being plenty strong.

I have had a set installed on my '02 SVT with H&R coil overs, 19" wheels with 35 series tires and Baer brakes for almost 5,000 miles without any problems. Ever since this issue came up, I have been driving my car harder than ever but the arms have taken every bit of the abuse so far. I even had a tire blowout a few days ago after smashing the brakes while swerving in another attempt to make the control arms fail.

We have temporarily removed the item from our shopping cart until we receive some of the updated pieces. We feel that adding the gusset will eliminate the possibility of any more failures.

We have decided to reimburse terrasmak for material damages caused by the failure since the manufacturer has determined that failure was due to weakness in metal and not from abnormal abuse to the part.