Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Write up w/Photos ZX3 Power Window Regulator Install
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
bluefront
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 56816
What I Drive: 2006 white ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 146 bluefront Excellent Standing Member bluefront Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
FWIW....I've done this exact job on many different cars. It's really not necessary to remove the window itself. You lower the window far enough to remove the screws/bolts (usually just two) that hold the window to the regulator. Then you push the window upward in it's tracks by hand. Wrap several pieces of long duct tape around the top of the window frame attached to both sides of the window (to keep it from falling down while you're working).

This simplifies the operation, and avoids possible scratching of the window or the door frame.

If the window regulator is hopelessly jammed, you may not be able to get the window far enough down to get to the attachment bolts. In that case you may need to cut the control cables.

A while back, Nissan had a massive recall of all the regulators on several models. They paid the mechanic about 1.4 hrs labor time to do all four doors. I got pretty good at that......