Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - How-To: Focus MTX-75 Duratec clutch, Phantom Grip, and Poly mount install
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #58
KAOS_2.5M
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 56078
What I Drive: 98 Steel blue 2.5l Contour SE MTX

FF Reputation: 5 KAOS_2.5M Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
My opinion of the phantom grim is it is a total waste of time , It is nothing more then a set of springs pushing apart against the spider gears and do little to aid in traction

It is not a limited slip , a posi unit or anything of the kind , everyone I have taken out in the MTX were changed because the factory diff broke , the diff is the weak point if your going to go through the trouble to add something add something that works and strainghtends the weak point

Oh and sporadic I dont sell any of these so it isnt like im saying this because I want you to buy something , just wanted to clear that up

Tom
+1 on that

also like to add that grinding/sanding/ect the PM/sintered spider gears is a horrible idea. the sintering is only on the outside of the gears, the inside is just loosly compacted potmetal, and will desintigrate rather quickly.

the basically compress some steel powder with a kind of "solder" (copper, brass ect) into the shape orf the gears pluss several thousandths, then they heat these little cakes to the bonding point of the two mtals, then pop them in a mold the sized of the final desired size, and compress them down again while at temp. see how grinding the hard outside is a bad idea?

to the guy who said his open diff spins both tires, yes, they all do that, thats how they work, when your going straight they spin both tires, when you trun they tranfer all power to the outer on.

if you don't like the ATB, there are always the KAAZ clutch types, that will give you a posi effect.

the PG is sort of a cross between a simple clutch type and a locker, but in a horrible way. it's basically using the face of your (newly ground down and further weakened powder metal) spiders and it's face instead of a clutch set, horrible idea.

it might be a little better idea in an early type diff (95-97 contour) with the cut steel gears, or the uprated euro units (also cut gears)

I personally wouldn't go with one though, I snapped the center shaft in an early cut diff with a high mileage 2.5 in my 'tour, which made a hole in my case big enough for you to shove your head in.

basically, if you want performance, get the KAAZ, if you want durability, get the Quaife, if you want a hole in your case the size of your head, get the phantom grip.