Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - San Diego autox with dad's focus
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
satakal
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 60819
What I Drive: '08, monaco blue, 335i

FF Reputation: 1 satakal Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
San Diego autox with dad's focus

Took my dad's 2000 zx3 to the autocross on Saturday. It was a blast. Before the event, I changed shoes, oil, brake fluid, and upgraded to Hawk HPS pads. Other than that, its the same old, poorly maintained focus that dad drives to work every day.

Obviously, the car is slow. Sadly, the brakes didn't whoa down the car as quickly as I would have liked. The tires were loud and cheap. But, once I adjusted the tire pressures to 38 front, 44 rear, the car was able to rotate pretty good.

I really really enjoyed the day and my laps. I was thinking about the differences between this and the 335. The major one is, with 300 hp, autox is a game of getting into and through the elements so that I can committ to the throttle as soon as possible. Like a game of managing the power. With the focus, its about trying to conserve all the speed that little 4 cylinder could find. My instructor buddy had some funny things to say about driving a low power front drive car. "That pedal in the middle, yeah, we want to use that as little as possible." "The pedal on the right, that's a switch. Either on or off."

My car with me in it would have posted something like a 93 second lap. The foucs was able to break 100 seconds on the last run. I beat lots of BMWs with that time. I think the car was the slowest thing there. But, it wasn't driven the slowest.

Next time, me and dad will share the car at the autocross. He's very excited about having a go.

Oh, just an fyi, the car was bogging at 4k in 2nd gear, mid turn. We think it was a fuel starvation thing. I filled up the gas tank and no more loss of power mid turn.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.