Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Car Audio and Installer Employees ONLY!
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 05:56 PM   #33
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I'm not sure that I can even come near some of the horror stories listed here...

My closest one is this kid that keeps coming back into our store. He drives a nasty-ass two door Civic (rice, rust, etc...), and a while back he wanted to get some subs for his ride. The previous owner had put in an Alpine 9885 and some cheap, and I do mean cheap, door speakers up front.

Well, he came in and went straight to our clearance table. Okay, no problem. Gives me a chance to get rid of some old product and cut someone a good deal while still making decent commission. Somehow, the MTX 601d caught his attention. I quoted him a good price and he was sold. That was to be his amp. Now on to the subs....

At the time, we had two 12'' MTX 4500's in a Sledge Hammer box on our clearance table (for good reason). Even all the explaining in the world couldn't keep him from buying them and using his monster of a new amp to power it. Well, I warned him, he bought it and insisted on installing it himself. Good, I thought...get him out of here....he came back a week later. His subs were making a "weird" noise....

I went out to his car, listened to the system for about a minute. Both subs were done, as I anticipated. I finally got him to upgrade (a little) to two 12'' 5500's, retuned his system (aka, turned the gains down from max to about a third), and sent him on his way.

He came back a few weeks ago (about two weeks after his last visit). Now the deck wasn't working right. His interior lights were flashing at him. The clock didn't work (car's clock, not the deck) and the amp wouldn't power on. All I could do is tell him to get it checked out somewhere. We didn't do the install, so it's not us that's liable. He got nice and mean when I told him how much we would charge to look at it and diagnose the problem.....lol.

Oh, by the way. I got to check out his and his buddy's "install" the first time he came back. The amp is just sliding around in the trunk, grounded to a freshly drilled hole with about four feet of cable and all of the RCA's/power wire make their way to the trunk via the floor...on top of the carpet.