Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - HOW TO: Install Cosworth Balance Shaft Delete Kit with Pictures
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 04:03 AM   #45
benc323
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59116
What I Drive: 2004 black zx3 2.3L D-Tec

FF Reputation: 2 benc323 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So I installed my F2 BSD today. I'm really happy with this mod and would recommend it to anyone willing to deal with taking off the oil pan, which was a chore. Well, a chore compared to the last car I did it on, which is the only thing I have to compare to.

So in all these write ups and things, everybody failed to mention that there is a belt cover that needs to be removed before you can remove the 2 8mm bolts and 2 10mm bolts on the side of the oil pan. It wasn't a big problem, just something else to add to the job.

Once I got the oil pan off and safely inside, I come to find that the bolts holding the balance shaft assembly in place are RIDICULOUSLY tight. I mean, I had to break out the impact wrench, and THAT didn't even do the job. Had to use the 18" breaker bar.

I didn't get the mating surfaces as clean as I know I should have, but I was running out of daylight, and being that this is my daily driver, I had to get this job done in one day. So I'll probably end up having to reseal the oil pan next time I change my oil, but no leaks as of yet, and hopefully it will stay that way.

The added vibrations are definitely noticeable, but nothing I won't easily get used to.

Overall it was well worth it, 20 bucks from F2, and free shipping, and the small amount of added vibrations is easily forgotten when feeling the extra pep the engine has.
Team DURATEC #323

Murdered Out