Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Harnesses
Thread: Harnesses
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twerpie1 View Post
I want to put racing harnesses in the wagon but I dont know if there is any way to mount them. Would I need a harness bar or is there any other way to put them in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tiffany
Tiffany -

This recommendation is for AUTOCROSS USE ONLY.

It is not advisable for use on the street or the track.

Using any cam style race harness (Simpson, Sparco etc.) you can install them WITHOUT a harness bar using the stock seatbelt mounting points.

You will need 8-10 inch bolts with the same thread pattern (Pull one out of the seat belt in the front and compare).

Lap Belts:

Remove the front seat belt assemblies and thread the longer bolts through them along with a washer. Underneath, slip the harness belt eye over the bolt and reinstall in the original mounting points.

Shoulder Belts:

Lift the rear seat cushions and remove the driver rear seat belt assemblies. Just as you did with the front, thread the longer bolts through them with a washer. Underneath, slip the harness belt eye over the bolt and reinstall in the original mounting points.

Take the shoulder belts and CROSS them through the headrest and drape them down the seat back.

Sit in the driver seat and adjust to the desired tightness. You should have enough slack and belt material for a very snug fit.

As I stated before, use this set up ONLY for AUTOCROSS and not for street application (Most safety harnesses are not approved by DOT for street use) or the track. The reason is that you don not have a harness bar to provide additional tension on the belts in the event of a crash. Nor are you installing the submarine belt that you would have to drill into the floorpan for installation.

With this set up on the street or at the rack, in even a minor collision, the cam lock assembly would compress into your diaphram and crack/break ribs or worse - bruise the heart as it slipped under your sternum.

However, this is PERFECTLY SAFE for AX applications.

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock