Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - SVT Suspension Confusion
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
TXM-SVTFsb02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59387
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TXM-SVTFsb02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
Why are you changing the springs? Are they damaged? That's the only reason you would need to change them as springs do not wear out. That said, if all you need are shocks/struts there a a number of vendors on this site that sell a brand new "set" (all four) of SVT original equipment shocks for less than $200.00. The SVT springs have a higher spring rate (stiffer) and are shorter than springs used on other Foci. For that reason you don't want to switch the springs out unless they are damaged. Do not use a regular Focus or replacement shock like the Monoe or KYB as they are designed for the longer softer springs that come on the non SVT cars. The stock SVT shock has proven itself to be of good quality and would be an excellent replacement shock as well.
Thank you for the info & for explaining why regular Focus, KYB or Monroe shocks should not be used on SVT. I looked at my receipt again & the springs were NOT replaced (I hope) - looks like only shock/struts were replaced front & rear. I will check out the vendors on this site for brand new set of all four SVT OE shocks for less than $200. NTB charged me twice that for the KTB GR2s!