Old 09-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
TXM-SVTFsb02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59387
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 TXM-SVTFsb02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question SVT Suspension Confusion

NTB replaced the front & rear struts/springs on my 2002 SVT Focus with KYB GR2 parts . I thought they were re-installing OEM parts & did not realize until I went out to the garage halfway through the installation & saw the boxes on the floor that they were not. When I asked why, they told me the parts they were installing were superior in quality to MacPherson. I didn't really believe that, but since the job was in already progress I decided to just go with it - figuring that the new parts would be better than the old, worn out ones that were causing my tire treads to cup & other issues related to worn out suspension. Figured since I am not currently AXing or doing any track driving that just regular vs SVT suspension would be ok. But on Monday I looked on the KTB website & saw that their recommended application for these products EXLUDES the SVT Focus! I called to make sure & KTB confirmed & told me that the parts NTB installed do need to be replaced. So...the mgr at NTB is telling me that his rep at Monroe has parts for SVT Focus(?) & he is waiting on a call back from him & that they will order correct parts & switch out. In the meantime, I am looking online & see the SVT Suspension Kit is advertised as "original parts installed on SVT Focus". I called the local FordRacing dealer & told him I did not really need the whole kit - just the struts & springs so he takes my VIN # & comes back with a quote of $105.68 per wheel front & $102.30 p/w rear - $416 total. The whole SVT Suspension Kit retails for $305 total on FORDRacing! I asked him why the individual parts cost more than the whole kit & he could not tell me. I don't know who or what to believe at this point. I would think that the parts that match up to my VIN# are best bet for true OEM? Is there reason to question to quality of the parts in SVT Suspension Kit - are they really OEM for SVTs? Anyone ever heard of SVT Suspension Parts by Monroe? When I called Monroe, they told me they did not have any for SVT & their only recommendation was to go to the Ford dealer for parts. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.