Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - VTEC vs SVTF variable valve timing
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 02:02 AM   #17
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3601
FF Reputation: 1 007 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The VCT system for the SVTF provides for emissions control and better midrange throttle response, but it sure didn't do jack for gas milage. I don't miss anything about my RSX Type S except for the excellent gas milage. Consistantly no less than combined 24 mpg, and that is if I was flogging the car. Driving in a more sane manner I was getting between 26 and 27 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. Driveline thrash in that car was terrible though, but the gearing was spot on. The first two gears in the SVTF are all wrong, way to tall. If you don't give the SVTF enough throttle from a dead start this car behaves like a turbo charged car, it bogs initially and then once it hits about 3K rpm takes off. I know my clutch is going to die early in this car because I'm constantly having to slip the clutch at 3K rpms just to get the thing moving in traffic. A/C and a very tall first gear make the SVTF a complete dog in stop and go traffic.

I have to give it to Acura, the engine in the Type S is a thing of beauty. Amazing gas milage, bulletproof reliability, 8100 rpm redline, and 200 hp/142 tq out of two liters. I think the folks at SVT did a great job with what they had to work with. Another 30 hp and better first and second gearing and the SVTF would have been a real hit, I'm sure it would have sold much, much better than it did. It would have been more expensive, but I'm sure people would have paid.