View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #19
lhc_focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 42464
What I Drive: 2002 ZX5

FF Reputation: 11 lhc_focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok, you have replaced the serp belt tensioner, water pump, timing belt tensioner(bolt backed out 4 turns with tab out of slot), timing belt idler pulley and your ready to install the belt.

A second set of hands would help with the next step. It's very important when installing the new timing belt to keep a good tension. Start by looping the belt around the crank sprocket, now this is a son of gun to keep on. It has a need to jump off. You'll figure it out. Anyway, you will be tugging on this in the counter clockwise direction which is opposite the crank rotation. So, I put the 18mm socket with a 12" extension and keep my left leg pressed against the 1/2" drive to keep the crank in place. Roll the belt around the idler pulley and around the exhaust cam. This is where the belt wants to jump back 1 rib. As you bring it over the top of the exhaust keep good tension toward the intake cam sprocket. Then around the tensioner pulley. Not so bad was it?

The belt will need a little help over the tensioner. If it's way to tight then most likely you have slack in the belt because it jumped back during the install.

When your done, take a look at your paint marks. Are they still lined up? Yes, time to set the tensioner.

Is there noticable slack in the belt, mostly from the crank sprocket to the idler pulley? Yes, take the belt off and start over.

Last edited by lhc_focus; 08-31-2008 at 01:04 PM.